Monday, May 2, 2011

Bread Alone

STORY BEHIND THE PHOTO: Picture Praise, 05/02/11

Psalm 104 splendidly describes God's greatness, generosity and amazing creation. Living in rural Europe, I can relate to this psalm...clouds, mountains, livestock, wine and bread. Once I was watching the Jesus film (in Italian) with the daughter of cross-cultural workers.

"Man shall not live by bread alone!" she translated.

"Oh?" I asked.

"You should have wine with it!" she quipped.

That's a European MK for you! I’d be happy to have just bread, if only I could find a good hearty one here in the U.S. After a year of home assignment, I can't wait to get back to Bauernbrot (farmers’ loaf) and chewy crusts!

I have friends who compare Europe to less developed locales and feel I live in “Disneyland.” Yes, Europe is clean and quaint, but it is still a needy field. Prayeurope.com says about Germany: "The Church is sometimes perceived as irrelevant and marginalized. There is increased open hostility to anything Christian, and the occult and a New Age worldview are on the rise, but evangelicals are slowly growing in numbers." That's why I feel privileged to serve at a Christian school, in Germany, ministering to children of cross-cultural workers to Europe, Africa and Asia.

photographer:
Mari Ellen Reeser, Germany.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...