Monday, February 28, 2011

Land of Promise

STORY BEHIND THE PHOTO: Picture Praise, 02/28/11

This tiny Muslim country in the Arabian Gulf is undergoing an astounding and rapid transition into the modern world. One of the great challenges in this rush toward progress is not leaving behind traditional culture and values. When we first arrived here several years ago, these traditional beduin style tents, used for men's wedding celebrations, were quite common. Over the next few years, as the skyline rose, the tents disappeared. Now, however, the traditional tents are making a comeback. As I watch the fascinating process of a people trying to redefine themselves, I am reminded that no matter where I find myself, my true citizenship is beyond any country on earth.
photographer: Desertbird, RAC

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...