Monday, October 15, 2012

Living Hope




STORY BEHIND THE PHOTO: Picture Praise, 10/15/12

The hope of the resurrection of Christ is a blessed gift to the believer. My dear friend, Annie, lost her battle with pancreatic cancer this past summer. Because Christ has defeated death and hell, I will see Annie again. It is a blessed hope! 

As a symbol of immortality (even St. Augustine believed the peacock’s flesh to have "antiseptic qualities" and that it didn't corrupt), the peacock became a symbol of Christ and the Resurrection. Its image embellished everything from the Catacombs to everyday objects, like lamps, especially in early Romanesque and Byzantine churches. (The peacock, for obvious reasons, was also used as a symbol for pride, too.) [*definition from internet].

This peacock was preening his feathers and turning in circles when he did. I was glad he continued turning so I could get more shots. I have always wondered why people were in awe of them here in Ukraine and Europe. Now, I know.


We'd love to see your corner of the world and the people who live there...so please consider submitting your photo (jpeg, at least 600px x 400px) and verse (not on the photo) to: info@womenoftheharvest.com.

photographer: Jayne Russell, Ukraine. “I Teach Christian Education and Women's Ministry at Kremenchuk Regional Bible College. I am embarking on my fourth term with a goal that more Ukrainains will be teaching my courses…soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...