Monday, July 16, 2012

For Now: A Glass, Darkly

 STORY BEHIND THE PHOTO: Picture Praise, 7/16/12

My husband took this picture last fall while taking part in a famine-relief outreach to Samburu, Kenya.  We live in the western highlands of Kenya and have not been affected by the drought that has caused famine in so many parts of Africa's Horn. 

We have always been involved in development work in our area.  Relief work was not something we were well acquainted with. But after a successful harvest in our area, it was in our hearts to get involved in the relief efforts.  My husband partnered with several organizations to take a semi-truck full of maize to Samburu.  He came back feeling a bit discouraged as he knew that what they had done was not a long-term solution. 

As he shared the pictures with me, this one stood out.  This young girl is waiting for food to be unloaded so that she can take some back to her family.  The verse that struck me was "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known" (I Corinthians 13:12, KJV). 

I particularly like the King James Translation as it talks about a seeing through a glass darkly. 
It's like holding up a thick stained glass and seeing how everything is tinted and distorted.  I realize that there are things on this earth that will never make sense to me.  How fitting that this verse would be placed at the end of one of the most famous writings ever on the topic of love.  I know that God loves each of these precious children who suffer around the world.  And when I can't make sense of it, I take comfort in knowing that right now I am just seeing that poor reflection through the dark glass.

photographer: Michelle Kiprop's husband, Kenya. Michelle is a Family Nurse Practitioner serving with Empowering Lives International in Eldoret, Kenya.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...