Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Red Ochre


STORY BEHIND THE PHOTO: Picture Praise, 06/28/10

My daughter had made friends with a young Maasai lady who was blind. We were invited to her village for a meal. It was a fun day, but also very humbling as they gave us one of their precious goats. They had a thank- you gathering for us, because we sponsor Margaret, the blind girl, in school. They usually put the red ochre on for special occasions like weddings, but this day everyone had it one for US! Sooo humbling!

photographer: Vera Steury, Kenya. "My husband and I have been in Kenya now for 24 years. We work with the Maasai tribe in a remote area of Kenya. We do community-based health care (immunizations, HIV/AIDS counseling, clean water projects). I teach Sunday School, homeschool my own kids, and run a small guest house. My husband was born in Kenya as a missionary kid. All three of our children were also."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...