Monday, July 18, 2011

How Wide

STORY BEHIND THE PHOTO: Picture Praise, 7/18/11

It’s funny when you are in a foreign country where you don’t know the language. I do village nursing and physio in these small communities, sometimes going far up mountainous areas. I was on a walk trying to discover it on my own, without an interpreter, seeking to find out what this village was about. I had just met some kids who had just got out of school, as I was taking some pictures of beautiful scenery. The kids were following me on their scooters, being very adept and showing off some of their tricks by not going over some cliffs on the narrow roads! As we arrived at the village they were saying goodbye, but wanted me to take a picture of them first.

Usually everyone wants to do the “victory” sign in a photo and they actually automatically posed with this. I didn’t want this pose so I started showing them to do something different – like, for example, flying like an airplane. So I just caught them in the action! They loved to see their pic - so good of an opportunity to get to know them. And they were also getting to know me too! I hope I started a different trend too!

Just as a side note: that road was later closed to foreigners. It shows we have to take the opportunity when it is there.

photographer: Lynn T., RAC

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...