Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Spiritually Nourished

STORY BEHIND THE PHOTO: Picture Praise, 10/18/10

My husband and I are members of Wycliffe Bible Translators, working as Scripture Promoters in the Andes Mountains of Peru for the past 12 years. After hiking through the mountains for several days, we arrived in the picturesque village of Quitaracsa, beautifully situated in a fertile valley below the mountains. Although the Quechua people had abundant crops and healthy herds of animals, the children all showed signs of neglect and malnutrition.

Apparently the villagers were selling the best of the crops and animals in a market several days' walk away in order to make a small amount of money so they could buy staples that could not be grown in their own fields. In a like manner, these Quechua people were neglected and malnourished spiritually, for until recently, they only had access to God's Word in Spanish, a language that none of them spoke from their hearts. What a joy it was for us to have the privilege of hiking into that village with New Testaments and beautifully illustrated Bible story books in the heart language of these little boys and their families.

photographer: Rachel Yanac, Peru.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I saw this post in my reader and new those beautiful faces were Peruvians like my husband. What a joy to see it was writen by my friend Rachel. I have been to the town where they live. She and her husband are doing some neat things among the Quechua!

You made my day,
Amy

Amy said...

I meant to write knew instead of new - sorry. (sheepish smile)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Amy
How fun to see your post here. And don't worry about the spelling mistake. I've discovered that when you live in and "ESL family" you sort of start to lose your tight grasp on your own good English skills!
Rachel

Jamie Jo said...

What a great photo! Very interesting to read about you, since we do the same kind of work in Mexico. My husband and I have a heart for the people of Peru, too. Bless you in your ministry there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...