Tuesday, November 4, 2008

If You Can Read This...

[what's brewing: double shot of fun!]


You’re Invited to
The Coffeegirl Book Club


Could you use more than your weekly Tuesday fix of interaction with other Coffeegirl Regulars? If yes, you’ll be glad to know that soon we’ll be offering a supplemental posting every week through The Coffeegirl Book Club.

Who? Coffeegirl Readers
What? Online book club
When? January 2009
Where? coffeegirlconfessions.blogspot.com
Why? To read, discuss and learn together.


Though I’ve always been drawn to the concept of a book club, I have never been part of one before. I thought that moving to another country would finish off any possibility of ever participating in one, but with a bit of creative thinking I’m now joining (and hosting!) this blog-based book club. No, we may not have the luxury of convening in each other’s homes or a local coffee shop to discuss our reading, but the idea of readers from across the world participating from their own living rooms, cozied up with their own cups of coffee or tea now seems even more appealing to me. It’s another level of connection as we come together to share our thoughts and learn from one another.

The inaugural book for this club is A Severe Mercy, by Sheldon Vanauken. It’s a favorite of mine and my tattered copy was a “must bring” item when we packed our bags to head to the field. I stumbled upon the book at a mid-summer yard sale just over 6 years ago. It was one of many books thrown in a box and marked “25 cents”, which I admit was the initial bait that sent me searching through the titles. This one caught my attention and the black and white photo of the couple, along with the brief description on the back page, closed the deal. I found many aspects of myself in the pages of this book and it has become a central piece in the literary landscape of my life.

For those who have read it, come again and turn the pages with us. For those who’ve never read it, the powerful love story and the deep grappling with the difficult questions of life and faith will draw you in. To whet your appetite, I’ll share with you the brief description that I read that hot summer day:

Sheldon “Van” Vanauken and Jean “Davy” Vanauken were lucky enough to discover that radiant love so often written of in books, so seldom found in real life. Van and Davy got married, crossed oceans and became inextricably bound up in a search for Christian faith. At Oxford they met C.S. Lewis and through his influence became believers. But then Davy fell prey to a mysterious illness. What follows is an almost unbearably powerful story of hope and sorrow. Van turned to Lewis, his friend and mentor, for guidance. Their letters, published here for the first time, ask the difficult questions, and show the saving grace
of a tragedy courageously borne.


I am announcing this book club now so that you can consider asking for a copy of the book if you have friends or family members asking for suggestions as they prepare to send a box of Christmas goodies to you. Depending on where you are, there are some online bookstores who provide international shipping for an extra cost and you may be able to order a book to be sent to you on the field. For those who don’t get a copy of the book, I’ll include a portion of the text in each posting so that you can follow along and participate in the discussion as well.

I hope you’ll join us - I can’t wait to get started!

P.S. – The Coffeegirl Challenge

As I picture you reading and writing from your own living rooms in hundreds of different cultural settings, I love the glimpses you provide through your comments and postings on your own blogs. I’d like to encourage you to continue getting to know the other readers as we’re building our blogging community.

My challenge to you is this:

  • Go out to one blog on the Coffeegirl Blog Roll and leave a comment on her most recent post.
  • The catch? If another CG regular has already posted a comment, you must move on to another blog until you find one without a comment.
  • How will you claim yourself as the CG commenter? You must mention “Coffeegirl” somewhere in your post.

Let the commenting begin!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun idea... I'll definitely try to track down a copy of the book.

I'd also like to be added to the blogroll if possible:

http://calebandnicolette.com

Anonymous said...

oops, that would be http://calebandnicolette.wordpress.com

:) :) :)

melissa said...

Great choice for the Book Club! I have a copy of that book...but it is currently packed away while we travel in the US for our home assignment. I may have to join the next time around...

I would also love to be added to your blog roll. :-)

Unknown said...

will have to see if I can get a copy of this book. Mail takes 2+ weeks to get here - I'll see if I can get it.

Unknown said...

Great way to start off the New Year!!
It will be fun...

Cindy

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Great idea! I will be there...I hadn't heard of that book, sounds good!

Ellie said...

sounds good!

I could use some difficult questions answered right now. :-)

Annette said...

CS Lewis' books have had huge impact on me. It will be great to read a book written by someone who knew him personally and looked to him as a mentor. I won't be able to get a copy of the book but will definitely look forward to reading the portions you include online. Thanks. This is a great idea, an online book club. Fun.

Before bookmarking your blog I dug down to your first post. I wanted to know why you were blogging. 'Bye House' shows we are traveling the same road, spiritually and emotionally. I look forward to reading your 'travel reports'. :D Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

~~~~~~~
http://myasianside.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Coffeegirl, thanks for the idea of visiting one of the links on your blogroll. I have been meaning to get to know some of the gals and this was just the nudge I needed. The blog I visited was http://chroniclesofourjourney.blogspot.com/ and Chantelle had an interesting post about her everyday life in Niger. Amazing how many similarities there are amongst us even though we are separated by oceans.

The Stover Family said...

I love your book club idea. I don't read as much as I would like to, and this will give me the extra reason to start reading more. Your blog has been such an encouragement to me already. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your heart with all of us and for giving us a place to meet other women working over seas. I have already visited most of the blogs on your blogroll, I just haven't commented yet, I will definitely do that. I would also love to be added to your blogroll.
www.stoversinpoland.blogspot.com

The Guthries said...

I love book clubs and the thought of doing one online is fantastic, I will do my best to find the book and join in.

Christian and Christen said...

I am new to the blog and loving reading so many women's blogs!
I live in Lima, Peru and work with Young Life in Latin America.
My blog URL is http://christenrenee.blogspot.com/

Shan in Japan said...

I can't wait to start the reading! I have the book and read it several years ago. I look forward to re-reading it. Thanks for this ministry!
Please add me to your blogroll:
http://shanaweena.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. I have never participated in a book club, so it will be a first for me.

Unknown said...

Ordered my copy today...Have travelers that are willing to bring it out....Yahoo!

Lori said...

I'm looking forward to the book club!
Can't wait to read the book after so many good comments about it!

nora said...

Great idea! Someone just asked me what they could send me, and I could tell them about the book club.

Thanks for helping us connect with each other. It makes it easier to know we're not alone.

Anonymous said...

A book club is a great idea. I've already ordered my books for Christmas, and this wasn't on the list, so I'll have to see if I can join in the discussion with another book.

Thanks,
KC

http://www.kc201722.wordpress.com

Phil and Pattie said...

Great idea. It is a great book but it has been a while since I read it. It was required in Freshman English at Moody. I am looking forward to reading it again and hope to be able to participate in discussion as much as my schedule allows! Thanks again for sharing the journey with us and for helping us feel more connected with others who are passing through many of the same things or have gone before us. It is such a blessing to me. Pattie

Jana said...

Your book club sounds fun. I've also always been drawn to the idea of a book club, but have never been a part of one, until now! Please add me to your blogroll to!

http://asweetfragrance.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I have this book! Yeah! In fact, I didn't pack it away even as I was working on putting away books for our move. Looking forward to this!
Libby

3gr8boyz said...

please add me to the blogroll.
Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...