Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Candygirl Confessions














[what's brewing: coffee with sugar, hold the coffee]

Had the name of this blog been determined this week, you very well could be reading Candygirl Confessions, for I have consumed far more candy this week than I’ve consumed of coffee in the past month! No parent would ever allow their child to consume the amount of sweets that Jason and I have indulged in, but that’s the beauty of being an adult.

Our first visitors arrived this week. In addition to their own luggage, they kindly brought along an entire extra suitcase thoughtfully filled by my family back home. We coordinated to have some things sent along that, over time, we realized we needed here, as well as some fun supplies for the Children’s Home. It felt like Christmas-in-October as we rummaged through the bag and found the items we’d been waiting for, along with many thoughtful extras that had been included.

But the items producing the most instant gratification were, hands down, the bags of candy and goodies.

It quickly became clear that my suggestion of opening only one package and rationing the others through out the month was not going to be observed. All of the bags were opened in a matter of 15 minutes and we were sampling small handfuls of each one: Reese’s Pieces, Peanut M&M’s, Swedish Fish, red licorice (both Twizzler’s and Red Vine’s to satisfy our personal preferences – Jason and I will never come to agreement on the issue), a Costco-size bag of Nestlé’s chocolate chips and a homemade batch of my favorite chocolate, peanut butter bars.

We’re now in a state of blissful sugar overdose, due to our “confessed” gluttonous indulgence (see previous post), and feeling rather remembered by our loved ones back home. I am occasionally tempted with the thought that moving so far away has moved us to the peripheral margins of the lives of those we left behind, and then a giant Christmas-in-October package like this arrives and reflects the careful listening that my family has been doing to put together so many treats and surprises. To think of it creates a warmness that nearly feels like the actual warmness of their embrace.

16 comments:

Sarah DeSalvo said...

It's so special and meaningful to get a package of goodies, whether in the mail or as a hand carry with someone visiting. I have been (irrationally, I know!) disappointed when I give someone a list of things to send to me, and then I get the package in the mail, and all that's in the box is EXACTLY what was on my list, no more, no less, not even a personal note! I know, I know, I shouldn't be disappointed, but the little things mean so much sometimes!

Coffeegirl said...

LOL, junglewife! I've been laughing after reading your comment because I would feel the same way! I don't think it's irrational at all. : )

Anonymous said...

I used to be a stickler in rationing until one day I tried to bite into what was supposed to be a nice fluffy yellow Peep chicky and almost chipped a tooth it was s tough. Now we have at it!

If only they could figure out how to fit all my sweet nieces in the bag with the candies - that is what my sweet tooth is aching for right now.

Good post CG.
~ @ngie ~

Women of the Harvest Blogs said...

LOL, shades of a scene from Willie Wonka come to mind....

Unknown said...

We don't often get packages anymore...it seems that once the kids started staying back and not returning to the field with us... the 'goodies' stop coming...what I wouldn't do for a Tootsie Pop right now!
:)
Glad that you were able to 'feast'...I agree with Angie...
Eat...Feast and Be Merry!

Ellie said...

Argh! You got me started eating candy again today!

I needed some candy today anyway. It is a rough day. It is amazing how something you eat can make you feel better... if just for a few seconds.

Today, candy. Tomorrow, put it away again. I promise.

The Guthries said...

Thanks for letting us share in your package party :-)

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Rationing?! Yeah, right! LOL I'm so glad you are enjoying your 'loot'! :)

I think that sending packages to those overseas is a ministry in itself because it's one of the most encouraging things! I can remember how special it was for us as kids and it's still special now.

Lori said...

I can totally relate, right now my weakness is OREOs! I just got a package from a friend with graham crackers and brownie mix. I can buy both items in this country but each costs like $10 here!

@ngie - I agree - I'd love for my nieces and nephew to get packed in the box too - I guess I'll settle for drawings of pink ponies and dinosaurs!

Unknown said...

AH! I LOVE those kind of care packages! I've come to understand sometimes there is very little difference between what you "need" and what you "want"where care packages are concerned :-) . Often times when I'm asked what I "need", it's those small things that remind me of home - and right at that moment, it becomes what I "need" - so enjoy those Peanut M&M's (one of my personal favorites)!

kimom said...

I think there is a very real and tangible taste and smell of 'home' that I miss sometimes as much as the dear friends and family! Until the land flowing with milk and honey, Kim

Shilo said...

Isn't that the best...like a BIG TIGHT HUG from home! Only you get to eat it! :) Blessings!

Unknown said...

This is totally us! Sugar high is right! Last year when we had visitors I could not believe the amount of things they brought us! Wow! It really is like getting a big hug (that you can eat!) from home! I like to save my chocolate in the freezer so it can last us a while if possible but most things get gobbled up right away. It's amazing how fast a family sized container of peanut butter can disappear. Yikes!
LOL Angie about the Peep!

Shan in Japan said...

At this very moment I am waiting for my parents to arrive and anticipating what might be in their bags for me. In my preparations for their arrival I cleaned out the freezer and found Christmas M&Ms-I am a rationer-and they were still good! But, now my freezer is ready for the next package of Reese's Peanut butter cups!
I am a regular reader, just haven't had a chance to sign up yet as one. Be back to do that after the parents leave:)

Shilo said...

I'd love to join the blogroll...myplaceofpeace.blogspot.com.
Thanks for bringing all us missionary sisters closer together!
Blessings!

WantingHISWill said...

I REALLY appreciated this article. I have been a faithful reader since the beginning but have never posted a comment. I am not a full time missionary but have been leading short term mission trips for the past 4 years. Part of the mission of each team that I lead is to think of ways that we can uplift, encourage, and minister to the missionaries. (Our main focus is serving, ministering to or working with the people of the country where we go) We have carried in many of the requested item, and have taken in store bought or homemade surprises in addition to finding unique ways to serve the missionaries we work with. I would love to hear from you or other missionary women about how they (and/or their family)have been encouraged or ministered to. How wonderful to know how joyful a bag of candy can be!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...